Friday, September 28, 2012

Voter Suppression?

So, if I want to renew my driver's license--which I need to do if I want to vote, never mind drive, I have to prove I am who I have always been. The new rules here request a certified copy of my birth certificate (which I have) AND a copy of my marriage license if I changed my name after birth (which I did). 

Unfortunately, since I got divorced in 1974, I tore up my old marriage license and have NO idea where the divorce decree might be. So, I COULD spend time and money requesting a new certified marriage certificate for a marriage that hasn't been for a LONG time.....

Or (easy way out), I can just produce my passport (even though getting the passport did NOT require me to prove that I once got married; they took my word for it!). Sheesh.

So new rules for "secure ID" (that's what they're calling it), harassment or voter suppression? (or both!)

****
More in the continuing saga of acquiring the necessary documentation to prove I have not ceased to be who I have always been in order to renew my driver's license so I can prove I am not attempting to commit voter fraud when I go to the polls in Georgia (because, ya know, that's such a huge problem--not!)

So, in order to acquire the documents (a copy of a 1970 marriage certificate for a marriage that ended in 1974), I have to either apply in person (a 4 hour drive) or download a PDF application, print it, and fill it out by hand. Ok, I have access to the necessary tools, but many of the poor may not.

Then I have to send payment, but no personal checks, credit or debit cards. So now I have to spend more money to purchase a money order or certified check--the only acceptable forms of payment.

Now if, for some reason there is a problem with my request, I assume I will be notified--by snail mail. And I will be asked to re-submit-- again by snail mail. By then, the election may well be over, and many people will have been disenfranchised by this inanity.

I actually will be able to vote--this time. Not so sure about the future, since I am and will continue to be a (gulp) liberal Democrat.  Shhh.

I am not usually a conspiracy theorist, but come on--this is blatant.






No comments:

Post a Comment